Section 5. Integrity Management
The DOH implements an Integrity Management Program to support the anti-corruption advocacy of the Philippine Government. A DOH CAR Integrity Management Committee has been established to ensure the effective implementation of integrity management initiatives and measures, which are in full consonance with the strategic thrusts and priorities of the Department, and which will prevent, reduce, if not totally eradicate graft and corruption.
All employees are encouraged to be vigilant and to report any suspected cases to the Integrity Management Committee for appropriate action.
Section 6. “No Gift” Policy/Policy on Gifts (based on A.O. No. 2007-0043 dated December 27, 2007 and on CHD-CAR RFO No. 2008-0004 dated November 23, 2008)
- DOH CAR employees shall not solicit, directly or indirectly, any gift and/or benefit for themselves or for others, regardless of the cost, unless otherwise approved by the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
- DOH CAR employees shall not accept or receive, directly or indirectly, any gift or benefit, regardless of the cost, where this may influence, or may reasonably be seen to influence or to have influenced past, present, or future performance of their official functions.
- In the course of the performance of their official functions, DOH CAR employees shall not accept any fee or remuneration beyond what they are legally entitled to receive in their official capacity in accordance with law. (An example of remuneration allowed by law is the honorarium given to Food and Drug Regulation Officers for witnessing raffle promotions: PhP 350.00 if raffle is held during office hours, or PhP 500.00 if outside working hours, during holidays, and week-ends).
- DOH CAR employees shall not accept or receive any gift and/or benefit, directly or indirectly, irrespective of the amount, from any of the following:
a. Any tobacco or milk company and organizations/interests associated with or related to these industries. (Example: gift packs from tobacco or milk companies);
b. Any bidder, caterer, supplier, contractor, or entity with contracts with the DOH CAR and the agents of these parties. (Example: free meals, snacks or accommodations provided by suppliers/ contractors; free bags/ t-shirts or other Information and Education Campaign (IEC) materials given by suppliers of these materials).
c. Any individual or party applying for any form of DOH CAR authorization (e.g. license to operate, permit, authentication of certificate of product registration, accreditation, verification). (Example: Owners of drugstores, drug distributors/ manufacturers, drug traders/ importers, food processors, drug testing laboratories, dialysis clinics, etc.).
d. Any individual who owns any establishment which is being monitored by this Office, which includes but not limited to water refilling stations.
e. Other parties transacting business with the DOH CAR or any DOH retained hospital in CAR.
f. Any individual, counsel, witness, or their agent undergoing any fact-finding investigation being conducted by the DOH CAR or by any government agency.
g. Any accused individual, counsel, witness, or their agency in any case before the DOH CAR or before any court.
- DOH CAR employees may accept gifts and/or benefits from individuals:
5.1 provided that the latter do not fall within any of the classifications in No. 4.
5.2 provided further that the gifts and/or benefits received under this Section that were delivered in the work place and valued at one thousand (PhP 1,000.00) pesos or more shall be recorded in the Registry of Gifts to be provided and kept in custody by the Integrity Management Committee (a designated DOH-CAR Office gift custodian).
- DOH CAR employees may give and/or receive token gifts and/or benefits to/from their fellow employees, in the office or at their homes, appropriate to the occasion during which it is given provided that the gifts and/or benefits received under this Section valued at one thousand (PhP 1,000.00) pesos or more shall be recorded in the Registry Book of Gifts to be provided and kept in custody by the designated DOH-CAR Office gift custodian. (Example: Christmas and birthday gifts).
- DOH CAR employees may receive cash awards or prizes allowed by law and government rules and regulations given by the DOH CAR during Anniversary and Christmas celebrations.
- DOH CAR staff may give and/or receive to/from their fellow employees’ emergency contribution/ assistance of a reasonable value or amount in cases of death, illness, calamity, and other similar situations. (Example: in case of serious, chronic or long lingering illness).
- DOH CAR employees, in their personal and/or official capacity, may receive donations of food, medical supplies, medicines, and medical devices from any donor provided such donations are covered by an appropriate Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) / Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), certificate of donation, or acknowledgment receipt and provided further that these donations shall be given to Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center (BGHMC) for their indigent patients or distributed during DOH public health campaigns or DOH health emergency response activities. Recipients of the donations shall be identified and shall affix their signature as proof of receipt of donation. The personnel concerned shall submit a report on use of the donation to the DOH CAR Regional Director and the accounting unit. However, if the donation costs less than five hundred (PhP 500.00) pesos, only an acknowledgment receipt shall be required.
- DOH CAR employees may receive plaques, awards, certificates, souvenirs, or other tokens of gratitude and/or benefits as appropriate to the occasion/ ceremony to which he/she is invited as a guest speaker or lecturer, provided that such plaques, awards, certificates, souvenirs, or tokens of gratitude shall not be reasonably perceived as intended to influence the employees in the performance of their official functions. Transportation and accommodation provided to enable the DOH CAR employee to be a speaker or lecturer during the occasion/ ceremony may also be accepted.
- DOH CAR staff, in their official and/or personal capacity, may receive gifts exchanged or given on occasions such as Christmas and Anniversary celebrations to members of Inter-Agency Councils, Committees, and other organizations to which the DOH CAR belongs provided that each gift received under this Section valued at one thousand (PhP 1,000.00) pesos or more shall be recorded in the Registry Book of Gifts to be provided and kept in custody by the designated gift custodian.
- DOH CAR employees shall not give gifts, tokens, or pasalubong, irrespective of the amount, to any DOH Central Office employee who is on official visit to the Office;
- DOH CAR employees shall not accept gifts, tokens or pasalubong, irrespective of the amount, from any of the DOH-retained hospitals during the course of their official travel to any of the said establishments;
- DOH CAR employees shall not allow sponsorship by its clients in the following:
14.1 meetings and training courses organized by the DOH CAR. (Example: Milk companies sponsoring activities of the Nutrition Program; Drug companies sponsoring trainings/ seminars for pharmacists which was organized by the DOH CAR, etc.)
14.2 to enable their attendance in scientific meetings or training courses held in the Philippines or in other countries unless the training of the duly authorized DOH CAR personnel is part of the specifications in the purchase contract for an equipment item procured by the office or the training involves maintenance of the purchased equipment. (Example: Cash allowance, free plane tickets, free hotel accommodation provided to DOH CAR employees by drug companies, suppliers, contractors, etc.)
- DOH CAR employees may receive performance-based cash awards, scholarship grants, and similar benefits granted by appropriate government agencies, non-profit private institutions, and national or international non-profit organizations.
- All prohibited gifts left in the DOH CAR premises shall immediately be returned to the giver. In circumstances where it is considered inappropriate or impractical to return the said gift (i.e., perishable goods), the employee with whom the gift was given shall immediately hand over the gift to the Chief of the Management Support Division, who shall then dispose of the item in favor of indigent patients at the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center. The MSD Chief shall notify the gift giver in writing of the disposition of the item, copy furnished the IAS.
- The designated gift custodian shall make periodic reports to the chairperson of the Integrity development Committee with regard the contents of the gift registry.
Any violation of these rules shall be a ground for disciplinary action, without prejudice to the filing of the appropriate administrative or criminal charges, if warranted, against the erring employee.